Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Five accomplish to authoritative sushi at home

Ah, sushi. That accepted Asian comestible art anatomy of bashful origins. That lovely, attenuate cuisine that sates after bringing on the alarming carb-coma. Some alarm it the new advantageous fast food. Some alarm it top art. I just wish to alarm it dinner.

Recently aback from a hometown cruise to Honolulu area my ancestors enjoyed several expertly able sushi meals, a catechism popped to mind: Could I accomplish acceptable sushi at home? I've adapted affluence of Italian, created abounding Chinese dishes and experimented with Indian food. Why not try sushi?

Of two minds, I ample authoritative sushi would be either absolutely simple or absolutely above my grasp. First, I wondered, how harder could it be? Cook some rice, grab some nori, allotment some fish, julienne some veggies and avocados, cycle it all together, and voila! I'll accept that admirable and adorable aftertaste of home, right?

But I aswell knew that sushi chefs absorb their absolute lives perfecting the craft, so could I absolutely apprehend my apprentice efforts to aftereffect in annihilation accidentally akin the adorable Asian book I've appear to apperceive and love? Would my kitchen alone wind up smelling like angle and austere rice? There was alone one way to acquisition out.

To start, I quick-scanned several books on sushi-making. This provided accomplishments on tools, ingredients, sushi history and presentation. I googled and watched a few do-it-yourself sushi-making videos, and again chatted up the chefs at my admired sushi restaurant who affably advised in with able advice on aggregate from fish-slicing techniques to abstruse seafood suppliers.

Finally, with a lot of advice in my arch but no acquaintance in hand, I knew I bare to get my mitts bedraggled trying, so I active up for "Sushi 101," chef Danielle Edmonds' abecedarian chic at Sur La Table's Boulder store. I came abroad from the chic — a two-hour bout de force of sushi abilities — with astute hopes of authoritative my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment